Phillip S. Smith
Phillip S. Smith was born in Wilmington, North Carolina. He earned his Bachelor of Sciences degree in accountancy, with honors, from the University of North Carolina, Wilmington in 1983. Upon graduation, he began his career as a Certified Public Accountant with the firm of Lowrimore & Warwick, P.A. in Wilmington, North Carolina. In 1990, Phil Smith returned to school at the University of Florida's Levin College of Law and earned his Juris Doctorate, with honors, in 1993. He was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1994.
Phil Smith was a Certified Public Accountant in North Carolina from 1989 to 2000; and was a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants from 1989 to 1992; the National Association of Accountants from 1984 to 1992; and continues to be a Certified Public Accountant on inactive status in Florida. He joined the Firm in 1994 and was made a partner in February, 1998. He is a member of the Florida, American and Lake County Bar Associations. Phil Smith sits on the Board of Directors for the Boys & Girls Club of Lake & Sumter Counties and is a member of the Executive Committee of the Florida Law Network.
His law practice centers around complex civil litigation and includes class actions, contract disputes, construction litigation, and utility company litigation.
Areas of Practice
• Class Action Litigation
• Complex Commercial Litigation
• General Civil Litigation
• Mediation Services
• Power Industry Litigation
• Securities Litigation
• Brooks v. Lockett, 658 So.2d 1205 (5th DCA 1995)
• Lennar v. First Family Bank, 660 So.2d 1122 (Fla. 5th DCA 1995)
• Lake Cogen Ltd. v. Florida Power Corp., 781 So.2d 531 (Fla. 5th DCA 2001)
• Morrison v. Allstate Indem. Co., 228 F.3d 1255 (11th Cir 2000)
• Graham v. Graham, 648 So.2d 814 (Fla. 4th DCA 1995)